"A BIG BENEFIT OF TOOLING U-SME TRAINING IS THE LMS.
IT HAS BEEN VERY ADVANTAGEOUS FOR HELPING US PROVIDING ACCURATE RECORDS FOR ISO INQUIRIES."
A hydraulics plant addresses its skills gap through training.
- Skilled workforce is aging out, with 50 highly skilled people retiring over a two-year period
- Meeting the need for skilled precision machining and grinding on older, less-exacting equipment
- Competitive geographic area makes attracting qualified employees difficult
- Long-term employees don't have a structured avenue to develop new skills
- Developed competency-based apprenticeship programs using Tooling U-SME for required coursework and testing
- Offered required and optional coursework according to position
- Provided open access to employees for ongoing development
- Created incentive – 2% of quarterly income bonus for employees that complete 12 courses in that quarter with a competency score of 75% or higher
- Incentive program has been successful in creating a corporate culture of learning
- Decreased the time required to develop higher levels of machining competency
- The Tooling U-SME tracking and reporting has provided accurate records for management and compliance requirements
- Supported the successful installation and certification of a NIMS-based apprentice program